Thought i would develop a little segment on this blog called Baking Mad…because it’s about baking…and my name…funny right?!
So, one thing you’ll quickly learn about Ellie and I is that we love baking (…and eating)!! It has got to the point were we watch bake off and rather cockily say “hmm..i could do that”. This passion developed from our granny who has her own successful wedding cake business, you could say she taught us everything we know! When i was little i used to LOVE watching her make her cakes, whilst i sat there and ate fondant icing and chocolate chips!
Anyway…I thought I would start off easy, so here are some yummy, quick and easy chocolate cupcakes!!
..and hey my recipe doesn’t call for calories so that means they’re guilt free right?!*
For the cakes:
- 70g Unsalted butter, softened (or stork)
- 170g Plain flour
- 250g Golden caster sugar or ‘normal’ caster sugar (the ‘golden’ version will give a more buttery flavour)
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder (if using self-raising flour instead of plain do NOT add as its already added part of the flour)
- 1/2 tsp. Salt (simply used to enhance flavour, can miss it out)
- 200ml Semi-skimmed milk
- 2 large Eggs
- 100g dark chocolate
For the icing:
- 60g Unsalted butter, (at room temperature so easier to cream)
- 30g Cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp. Semi-skimmed milk
- 250g Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas mark 3, and line the cupcake or muffin tray with paper cupcake cases
- Mix together the butter, flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt together until they form a crumb-like consistency. This can be done in either a freestanding mixer or by hand, the choice is yours!
- In a separate container, beat together the milk and eggs.
- Gradually pour the liquid into the crumb mixture and mix thoroughly until combined. Beat until the batter is smooth and thick, with no visible lumps.
- Melt the chocolate over a pan of boiling water, once melted bring off heat and place on heatproof mat to cool down and mix into the cake batter.
- Spoon or pour the batter into the cases, filling them two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the sponge bounces back when lightly touched (place a skewer into the centre of a cupcake in the middle of the tray, if clear when pulled out they’re cooked!!). While the cakes are cooking, make the frosting.
- Weigh all ingredients into a bowl and mix together. Place in a covered container or piping bag and place in the fridge.
- Take out cakes and leave to cool slightly before removing from the tray and place on a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Spoon or pipe generous amounts of the icing onto each cupcake, then gently smooth over with a palette knife.
- Pop on a plate or cake stand, take a picture, use #tpsbakingmad, put your feet up, eat and enjoy!!